Sunday, December 7, 2008

Fred's Micro Shop

Fred, one of the mechanics who used to work with me at the Bicycle Center in Santa Cruz sent me this nice shot of his home bicycle shop, which he calls his micro shop. He mentions that the bench is made by Torin and that he ordered it from Amazon.com for a couple of hundred bucks. Also, the workbench is on casters so he can tuck the whole micro shop out of the way when he needs to make space. He plans to add some fold-out wings to the toolboard to add tool space at some point, and to build a wall bench once he removes an old furnace. Notice that Fred keeps the setup as compact as possible by attaching his Park repair and truing stands to the ends of the bench.

1 comment:

Fred said...

Thanks for the virtual "ink" Jim! One small but important correction, the bench was a gift from my dad (who in turn got it on Amazon). It works very well, though the fit and finish are about what you'd expect at that price-point. Think Trek 820 not Waterford.

Once I'm done accumulating tools I'm going to swap out the peg-board for painted plywood and real hooks.

I should also note the the stand is not perpendicular to the bench, but is mounted at a slight outward angle. This gives me more space between the bike and the bench so I can easily (ish) get to both sides of the bike.

I actually use the microshop to run a micro-business: a non-profit repair facility I call Camper Van Bikeshop. 50% of income goes to sending a kid to Camp Unalayee. Once the tools are paid off, it'll be 100%. It's a lot of fun, though I wish I still had JIm around to help me with the knotty problems.